According to reports, the IRS is “in crisis” going into the 2021 tax season. How bad is it?
- IRS reports to still needing to process about 8.6 million individual returns (both electric & paper filed) and more than 3 million business returns from 2019; There is about 20 million 2020 tax returns still not processed.
- Almost 5 million pieces of mail have been unopened
- There has been an increase the volume of phone calls by more than double, but customer service is only able to answer about 11% of them.
If you are starting to get concerned about your refund, you have a couple of options.
Internal Revenue Services
- “Where’s My Refund” to track the status of your refund. You will need your social security number, filing status and the refund amount. All this confidential information is only used for the IRS to locate your return and is kept secure.
* If you are checking before 1/24/2022, the site is down for IRS updates. You can call the IRS direct by calling:
- Individuals – 800-829-1040 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time.
- Businesses – 800-829-4933
If you are looking for the status of your state refund, select your state here. Most state are running on time with processing returns, usually 3-4 weeks.